Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mestre's L&I

SOCS-C
Mestre tells of the needs of educators, schools and text book authors to look at the cognitive science research and use it better.  If how students learn is understood, learning can be done more efficiently.
(Mestre)

Again the article seems old - 1991.  I have found myself floored that these ideas were never shown to me as an aspiring young teacher.  Before I read these articles now, in our fourth day, I look at the references to see who I recognize and if I have seen their paper.  The names are the same and the results are all similar and I have not read any of them until the mid part of my career.  That bums me out.  Or that Mestre points out the lack of a good text book to address constructivist thinking 20 years ago and I can't saw I have seen or heard of a big change.

The science ed classes I have had from Wayne State, in about 2003, used the constructivist, scafolding inquiry lessons.  I thought they were nuts.  But my searching for answers on Google (is there anyplace else), connected results from inquiry to learning circles to McDermott, Halloun, Hakes, Hestenes and more.  This has been my reading since and slowly have altered my class.

1 comment:

  1. Ah textbooks. The people who write textbooks don't always have the same goals as the people who use textbooks. Nor are they necessarily trained in teaching in a way that is in line with research practices. We will probably talk about this more.

    ReplyDelete